Tissue Pom-Pom Tutorial

Last Friday I showed some pictures of the baby shower my friend and I threw and I had lots of emails asking how we made the tissue paper pom poms hanging above the buffet table.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

I LOVE decorating with these pom-poms whether it is for a party or in my house.  I think they look especially cute in a child’s room.  I love them because tissue paper is cheap, comes in so many colors, and because they are so big they really make an impact.  If you have a bunch of these hanging up you don’t really need much else to decorate your party!  And since you asked, I’ve put together a tutorial showing you how easy they are to make!

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

I really think you need at least 8 pieces of tissue paper to have a full pom-pom and I bet if you’re paper is thin enough you could even go up to 12 but that might be stretching it.  In this case, cheaper really does work better.  You need thin paper, the thicker your tissue is the harder it is to separate the layers.  Dollar store paper works really well.

In the example I’m using 4 white and 4 pink and alternating each color to give my pom-pom a two tone look.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms   Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

You do want to use some sort of wire instead of just regular string because you’ll need something a little stronger to hold its place.  If you are going to hang your pom-poms from the ceiling you can also tie the string right onto the wire.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

When you trim the edges of the paper you’ll see another reason why you want thin tissue!  You can clearly see that my rounded edge isn’t perfectly smooth but it is okay, once the layers are all separated you won’t be able to notice.  And trimming the edges in different shapes will give you a different look as well.  You can trim the edges into a point, half circles, inverted triangle, etc.

Now you have to decide if you want your pom-pom to be completely round or just 1/2 round.  At the baby shower we put our pom-poms right up against the window so we made ours 1/2 round.  If you wanted really big, full pom-poms you could make two 1/2 round and add them together.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

Once you decide what kind you want to make the next step is to separate the layers.  You’ll want to do this gently because the paper could tear if you’re not careful.   And if you do tear it a little don’t panic, just fix it with a little piece of tape and keep going.  You probably won’t even notice once the pom-pom is all fluffed up.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms  Here’s how it looks with half of the layers separated.  Is it weird that I kind of like this look too?  They look like puffy flowers!

But once the other side is all separated as well it does look pretty good.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

You can see what I mean by a 1/2 round pom-pom by looking at the back.  If I had folded the other layers the opposite direction it would be completely round.  Or like I said earlier I could make two of these and put them back to back for a really full pom-pom.

Tutorial: How to make tissue paper pom-poms

Despite the fact that there are a million pictures in this tutorial hopefully you can tell how easy it is to make these fun decorations!  I made these sitting on my couch and using my coffee table as my work surface all while watching a little Netflix.  Easy peasy.

I really appreciated the questions about this project so if you ever have any more requests for a tutorial/post please let me know!  I’d love to share!

35 Responses to Tissue Pom-Pom Tutorial

1. Olivia says:

I don’t have any children at home and I’m not having a party but I want to make some of these flowers any way because they are so pretty and fun. Thanks for the “how to.”

2. Wilhemina says:

I have always wanted to know how to make these. They are so fun. Thanks.

3. Mildred Carrasquillo says:

Thank you I always want to make these I’m excited because all the tutorial I loooked where not as good as this one, you are so good!!!:)

You are very welcome! I’m glad you found the tutorial helpful, I hope you have fun making them!

4. Jenn Tooksie says:

Hello there! I just wanted to say you did a beautiful job on this tutorial. I love the tissue pom poms- but how in the world did you hang them across the window like that? It’s stunning!

Hi Jenn, thanks! So we actually just taped them onto the window! We used clear packaging tape to attach the last layer of the pom-pom onto the glass. Nothing complicated here!

5. Jenn Tooksie says:

6. Tlhogi says:

wow thanks for the tutorial. It was so easy to make them and they will come in handy soon. I was so excited when i got it right without a struggle.

7. Barbara says:

I have been trying to make these and so far your tutorial is the best I have seen. What a beautiful job! I am making 20 for my Grandaughter’s first birthday party and for the life of me they don’t come out round and you can see the inside edges of each layer tissue making them look split. What am I doing wrong? Help the party is this coming Saturday!!!

8. Jeannette says:

Love this tutorial. My question is how to hang the fully round ones? I envision them on a rope somehow but I’m not creative enough to figure that out. Any help will do! Thx

I usually hang them from some ribbon or string. You can tie the string around the wire you wrapped in the middle of the tissue paper (you could even make a little loop in the wire before you fluff the pom poms) and there you go!

9. Raquel says:

Hi,
    beautiful pompoms but quite tricky to make. I am struggling to join the middle. Once I separated the layers, I can still see the folding middle and isnt looking pretty. I must say instead of using flower wire, i stapled it. How can I make them look round and not showing the middle? very greateful for a quick response, my party is on saturday x

Hi Raquel,

I think I understand what you’re talking about and when you separate the layers you need to try and get down as close to the fold as possible. It takes a little bit of time but you need the layers to be completely separated all the way down to the middle. Once you do that it should help. I hope this gives you something to try and that the party goes well!

10. Jane says:

Thank you for making this tutorial looks such fun. I’m decorating a marquee for 350 people and want to make the pom pom’s look like clouds. How big do you think I can make them (the width of the tissue before opening the layers) to create maximum effect? I have a team of helpers but know it will take time to create a cloud filled sky!! I’ve worked out I can hang them from fishing wire running side to side across the marquee by the way.

Oh that is going to look so beautiful! If I were you, I would probably make each tissue bundle just be a half and then put two together. That will make them extra big and fluffy. Hopefully you won’t have to make as many because they’ll be bigger. Good luck and I’d love to see pictures of the event if you have time!

11. Unathi says:

Tx so much, I’ve always seen pics with these and they look so pretty! Never thought it’d be so easy to make them……trying them out for a friend’s baby shower :)

12. Erin says:

Thank you so much for the help! I am making these for my daughter’s princess tea party birthday. They will look gorgeous hanging above the table! Very easy to follow your directions!

13. Stephanie says:

Just wanted to let you know that this was the best tutorial I found to make these pom poms. Other sites left it kinda vague, but your “million pictures” made it much easier to understand the process. :) I’m thinking of making some of these for my wedding. Thanks!

14. Heather says:

I am having trouble with my pom poms looking like an oval and also I can’t keep the sections closed to look like they are thicker. I’m using 8 pieces of paper and doing as you have described. any suggestions?

My two suggestions would be to make sure you are getting down as close to the center as possible when separating the layers. That really opens it up and helps it look fuller. The second would be to try making two and putting the two halves together. That will definitely help them look full. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

15. jessica says:

Hi. Thankyou so much for your tutorial it was great. I have actually just bought a couple for my baby shower got home read the instructions and didnt know what to do or where to start!!

However next time i will be making my own they look fantastic!!

16. melissa says:

Words can’t express how thankful I am to find this tutorialI’ve made over four of them and always ended up with a half a circle because I was pulling both sides up thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thanks a million this will save me for my sisters baby shower on Saturday may God bless you

You are so very welcome Melissa! I’m so happy I could help you out, and I hope the baby shower went well!

17. Misty says:

This is the best tutorial I have seen on how to make these pom pons! I actually love all the pictures because I’m a visual learner. I’ll be making some of these at an upcoming bridal shower I’m hosting! :)

18. Lyn says:

I’ m having a silver anniversary party and couldn’t get the hall I liked and the one we got is not so nice, so I’m going to make these and I love your idea for the half ones which I’ll be able to put up all over the walls as they’re so lightweight, so thank you so much for your fab tutorial!
    I wondered if you think that silvery tissue might look grey and drab as I’m ordering from the internet and won’t be able to check the colour beforehand

Hi Lyn,

I think silver ones will look lovely! And perfect for a silver anniversary party. You could through in some white to freshen things up if you are worried about it looking drab, white always makes things look brighter. Good luck with the party, I’m sure it will turn out lovely!

19. shannon says:

what kind of wire did you use and what length?

Hi Shannon,

To be honest I’m not sure what size of wire it is, I no longer have the package. But it is pretty lightweight and small, I purchased it in the floral section of a craft store. You really don’t need anything too strong because the tissue paper is so light. Hope this helps!

20. deepa says:

Hi! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. Am gonna use it for our colors day celebration in our school. It will be very useful.