Forgotten Chicken

This is my all time favorite, number one, first choice, bestest, loveliest, most deliciousliest meal. It’s so good I had to make up adjectives for it. :)  No exaggeration, this is MY personal favorite meal.  Growing up this was the meal that I requested for every birthday, or actually any day when my mom asked my opinion on dinner.   And I’m pretty sure she was okay with it since it consists of five ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to put together.  (six if you count water.) It is certainly not fancy or exotic (and I’m aware that this isn’t the most healthy meal) but just plain good ol’ comfort food and warm yummy goodness.  I will say that if you are looking for that super-pow recipe that hits you with all its flavors and knocks your taste buds unconscious…this is not it.  I mean come on, it has five ingredients.  But if you want a big dish of simple, good home cooking then give this a try.  I personally think it is the best.
Forgotten Chicken
The ingredients:
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, minute rice, 1 pkg. onion soup mix, can of cream of chicken soup, can of cream of celery soup, water.
Mix together “cream of” soups, 1 can of water, and 2 cups of minute rice (uncooked.)  Pour into a buttered casserole dish.
Lay chicken breasts on top of rice mixture and sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Cover with tin foil. Don’t forget that important step!
(My dad hates onions so a lot of the time my mom would just mix the onion soup in with the rice.  I guess out of sight, out of mind?  Either way works.)
Here is where the name Forgotten Chicken comes in.  Once you have it in the casserole dish you can put it in the oven and forget it!  My mom would always put it in on a low temp. (around 250-275) before we left for church and when we got home three hours later it would be ready.  Or you can cook it at 350-375 (depending on your oven) for one to one and a half hours.   It is hard to mess up so if you forget it is in there don’t worry, it is probably still okay!

The rice on the outside edges should be slightly browned and crispy and the rice on the inside soft and moist.  Serve with a side salad and a nice big slice of bread and you have yourself one tasty meal.  It’s my favorite!  (in case I haven’t mentioned that enough times in this post.)

***Update*** Many people have left comments or sent emails with their concerns over the sodium or MSG in the soups used in this recipe.  I understand, I get it.  As I mentioned, as much as I LOVE this recipe, we don’t eat it every single week.  And if you don’t want to eat it at all, guess what…you don’t have too!  That is the great news.  You can decide what you do and do not want to eat in your OWN house.  For me this is a delicious, easy meal that we will enjoy once in awhile along with plenty of healthy, clean food.  Another tip:  Whole Foods has “cream of soups” that are MSG free and are a great alternative.  There are also lots of recipes out on the web for substitute “cream of soup” so find whatever works for your family and enjoy!

Download the PDF Recipe

Brieanna

419 Responses to Forgotten Chicken

1. Yes, I forgot about this chicken too! I made it all the time when my kids were little…now I make cookies. Maybe I’ll have to throw in a little chicken now and then! Thanks for the reminder of a great recipe! :)

• Melissa says:

Cookies for dinner? You are awesome!!

• judy says:

does anyone know if you can use frozen chicken?

• The Doodler says:

If you are cooking it in the oven I would make sure your chicken is mostly defrosted. I have never cooked this recipe in the crock pot but I use frozen chicken all the time in other recipes in the crock pot. It all depends on how you are going to cook it, and how long.

• NANCY says:

I make this ALOT and I always use frozen chicken breasts ; )

• Marsha says:

I have been making this recipe for years. I got it from Campbell Soup.
      a chicken any kind. rice, 1 pkg of Lipton Onion Soup mix, 1 can of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup, and 2 cups of OJ.
      1 cup of rice on bottom ,then chicken, put soup on top,then sprinkle Lipton Onion soup on top, pour 2 cups of OJ and bake in oven 375 oven for 45 mins. to 1 hour or when done.

• Amanda says:

I made this today. It was ok, but way too dry. Next time I will add a bit more liquid and will use broth instead of water. Thanks for the recipe.

2. Liv says:

Yum! I bet my daughter would love this!

3. Monique Barr says:

I would love to try this one. I got to

4. mustangkayla says:

That looks and sounds delicious!

5. Dana Nelson says:

Can’t wait to try this! Maybe I’ll even buy fresh chicken instead of frozen! ;)

6. Anonymous says:

Where’s the cute recipe card? ; )

I’m excited to try this! – Thank you!!

7. Vika says:

Sounds delicious and easy. definetly it’s worth trying

8. Lori says:

Sounds perfect!! As a working mom and dad, we are always looking for the simple, especially on weekdays!! Sounds delicious, too!!!

9. I’ve never had this before but I’m excited to have it on our menu this next week. Thanks for sharing. I’m always on the hunt for new recipes. …simple ones at that! :d

10. Cara says:

This sounds really good, do you think it could be made in the crock pot? If so, how would you go about doing it?

11. Anonymous says:

Just put this in the oven. Sooo easy. Can’t wait for dinner.

12. Maude says:

This would certainly be better for you with less salt but I’ll give it try anyway.
    I just put it in my electric pressure cooker on stew. I’ll let you know how it comes out, it should be done shortly :)

• Maude says:

It turned out quite well in the pressure cooker so I’d imagine it will work well in a crock pot also :)

• The Doodler says:

I’m glad it turned out. I’ve never tried cooking in a pressure cooker, any tips for a beginner?

• Anonymous says:

I love my electric pressure cooker! I make anything that usually goes in the crockpot in it.

• Mindy says:

Maude, you can certainly make this low sodium, The market does sell low sodium cream soups. I am a dialysis patient and this meal sounds like the perfect meal for me since I can use these low sodium cream soups. WalMart definetly carries these products! Thank for sharing this recipe!!

• ゴジラ says:

Along with other’s suggestions of using low sodium versions of the canned soups, you can make your own soup mix (http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-liptons-onion-soup-mix-24952). Instead of using regular granulated bullion (which is very sodium heavy) substitute sodium free bullion (I use Herb-Ox, but Wyler’s and Hormel also make them) and salt the homemade soup mix to a level you are comfortable with.

13. Anonymous says:

I’m going to try this in my slow cooker

14. Anonymous says:

tried this tonight but instead of cream of celery i used cream of mushroom and a can of mushrooms. very good thanks

15. Anonymous says:

you can probably use garlic and herb lipion mix instead. sounds yummy will have to try this but i’ll probably use my crock pot.

16. Anonymous says:

This was one of my husbands favorite receipes he brought home from his mission. We serve it all the time at our house. It is a perfect Sunday meal. Thanks for sharing it!!

17. The Cook says:

I usually just use one can of soup, and 2 cups water. Comes out a bit thicker. The onion soup is easily replaced with pretty much any kind of seasoning you like, and I often top with shredded cheese. It’s quick and easily modified for variety. Thanks for posting!

18. cjbroyles says:

This works with pork chops too!

• Anonymous says:

Yes it does!!! For many years I have cooked this dish- used a can of cr of chic & cr of celery & a can of cr of mushroom (4 children & 2 grands who lived with us was a crowd for meals) plus the onion soup x 2 with lots of chops. Did same thing with chicken & sometimes tenderized round steak though chicken cut up by me in special way was the favorite ( & less expensive). Now that I am alone, I still cook this but scale it down using only cr of celery & cr of mushroom & the onion soup x 2 sprinkled over perhaps half of a chicken or chicken breasts. Always used regular rice- tastes so much better to me ( & less expensive).

19. Anonymous says:

three hours at church???

• Anonymous says:

Coffee & rolls at 9:00 – Sunday School at 9:30 – Worship Service from 10:30-11:45 – visit with friends after the service … so glad I don’t attend a one hour church

• Geekgal says:

I actually spend 4 hours at church. I am on the worship team and we have to be there an hour early. Church is awesome!

• Marci says:

we have a similar schedule at our church too. Usually plan on 4 hours. I don’t think I could get enough of God in 1 hour. Going to try this recipe this week, maybe use a ranch seasoning package and some bacon crumbles–broccoli on the side.

• Anonymous says:

my family goes for three hours, one hour everyone together, one hour for Sunday school, Divide up the adults from the kids and then one hour with just us ladies…it is what I look forward to ALL week.

20. Anonymous says:

When I made this I added a can of rotel tomatoes..We like a little more heat in our food. Was awesome!!!

21. Ouida says:

Very tasty and I used the crock pot and cooked it for 3 hours. Fab!

22. Anonymous says:

Does it matter how long u go to church? Just as long as you go to worship!

Amen!

• Anonymous says:

I agree. I don’t think God minds if you’re only there for an hour!

• Anonymous says:

I don’t think God minds if you don’t go to church at all. Better to be a good, kind person every day than to be someone concerned about getting in enough church time. :)

• Anonymous says:

Being a good kind person ain’t gonna get you into heaven and God does mind if you go to church to be with people who worship Him is good is His eyes. But back to the chicken dinner, this is a good backup dinner when you got to feed a family that doesn’t take a lot of fuss to pull together.I am proud of the people that spend the three hours at church if that helps them serve the Lord.

• Ren says:

Yes, Anonymous (25th July), because you know god personally and he’s told you that, right? (Note sarcasm, just in case you missed it.)

You’re all weird. Church- ugh

• Stargazer says:

It’s so funny how the religious zealots speak for God, as if He’s on THEIR side – LOL! As for the chicken casserole, I find that by the time the chicken is done, the rice is too hard around the edges and the rest is gummy.

• The Doodler says:

Okay, okay…. let’s just talk about chicken here! Friendly voices everyone! :)

• Robin says:

Ridiculous! No one HAS to go to church!!

23. Anonymous says:

Looks good but talk about sodium overload!!

• Anonymous says:

Not as bad if you use the healthier low sodium varieties of the cream soups

• The Doodler says:

Its all about a balance. If you’re worried about your sodium intake than just limit the amount you eat the rest of the day or the day after. There are also lots of recipes for “cream of” substitutes.

24. Georgia says:

I usually make this with 1 cup regular uncooked rice and 2 cups of water. I even cook it the same amount of time – 1.5 hours. If I don’t have any onion mix, I crumble three beef buillion cubes on top.

• abby o says:

This is what I was wondering about…I’d like to use regular brown rice, do you think that would work? Or better to just make the chicken and throw the rice in the rice cooker?

• sharon Jackson says:

I use basmati rice and it turned out beautifully..
        as for the salt I find the soup mix the saltiest thing.. I m trying it tonight without the soup mix.. will find something else to season.

• Anonymous says:

You answered my question. My husband won’t eat minute rice.

• Tish says:

This was my question too. I’m the one who refuses to eat minute rice in our family. bleh.

25. Anonymous says:

I think adding broccoli and cheese would almost make it a complete meal. YUM!

26. Anonymous says:

This is my kind of recipe! Can’t wait to try!!

27. Jennifer says:

My mom would make it with regular rice (not minute rice) 1 can of soup and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. And I had sort of forgotten about this chicken too. I have some chicken ready and think this is dinner tomorrow

28. Anonymous says:

Do you think I can replace the rice with a pasta? I can’t eat rice but I was wondering if I could maybe try penne noodles or linguine noodles??

• Anonymous says:

My mom made this a lot when I was growing up. I am about a million years old and back in the day Primary was on Wednesday’s after school. She was always Primary president wherever we lived (my day was a Marine) and she would frequently serve this on Wednesdays, putting it in the oven before she left for Primary. That’s why even for my kids, this is called “Primary Day Chicken”. She cooked the chicken and sauce separate from the rice. That makes a very lovely sauce. I prefer to use Golden Mushroom soup because I love the color and the mushrooms. So don’t worry about the rice. Bake the chicken and serve whatever you like with it. It is yummy with baked potatoes, too.

Try Orzo pasta.

29. Anonymous says:

Going to try this tonight…looks and sounds good

30. ~Kathy says:

We’re Baptist and we leave home around 8am & get back around 12:30-1… love our Sunday mornings….
    This should work just fine on low in the crockpot and can probably skip the water since there’s condensation buildup constantly… the two cans of soup should be enough liquid… will try this week… probably use fresh chicken tenders rather than breasts.

31. Anonymous says:

this is an old campbell soup recipe with added variation. good, quick easy recipe.

32. Anonymous says:

Would it work with some kind of pasta instead of rice?

33. Charlotte Stanley says:

sounds easy and good. will have to try this chicken recipe..

34. Andrea says:

I usually use my sun oven on Sundays while we are at church and this recipe would work perfectly. I just set it out on the south facing porch and aim it to where the sun will be about halfway through the 3 hours (so I don’t have to move it with the sun like you would with baking bread)…I’ve never had things be anything but perfect doing it this way. Thanks for sharing such an easy recipe.
    ps: OT, above there was a question about the length of church. 3 hours are split between 3 different meetings so you don’t get too antsy sitting in one spot..1st hour women and men meet separately and have a gospel lesson (children and youth meet in their own classes, 2nd hour for Sunday School where we study and learn the principles, and truths taught in the scriptures. The 3rd hour we all meet back together in families as a congregation and listen to speakers and partake of the sacrament. In some places, well really in most places, this order is reversed. Sorry to get off topic, just thought I’d clarify the reason for the 3 hours. You can go here for more info http://mormon.org/worship/

• Jamie says:

Oooo what is a Sun Oven?? I have never heard of that but being a semi-adventurous cook I’d love to try it.

• Andrea says:

Jamie,
      A Sun Oven is a contraption that uses solar energy to cook food. You can see the one I have at http://www.sunoven.com You can get them from the company directly or any of the many dealers, (I am one) or you can even get them on Amazon. They are a great preparedness item because if you have sun, you can cook, even in the winter. It doesn’t have to be warm outside, just sunny. You can then use your other fuel, like propane or butane on days that are cloudy when your sun oven wouldn’t work. There are several different brands but this is the one I like the best. Happy (Solar) cooking!

35. Totally trying this one! Thanks for sharing!

36. telesma says:

I make this:

Classic Pork Chop & Rice Bake

4 boneless pork chops, 3/4″ to 1″ thick
    cooking oil
    ground black pepper
    1 small onion, thinly sliced into rings
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (low sodium, plain, or with roasted garlic)
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice (not converted)
    4 oz sliced mushrooms
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
    2 tbsp snipped fresh parsley

1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a skillet, brown chops in hot oil over medium heat, turning once (4-5 minutes). Remove chops from skillet, reserving drippings, sprinkle chops with pepper, set aside.
    2. In the same skillet, cook the onions and mushrooms in the drippings over medium heat until tender, set aside. In a large bowl stir together the soup, wine, and water, then stir in the rice, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Spoon mixture into a 3 quart baking dish, top with chops, then spoon cooked onion & mushrooms over the top. Cover with lid or foil.
    3. Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until rice is done and internal temperature of chops registers 160F on an instant read thermometer. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before sprinkling with parsley and serving. Makes 4 servings.

Notes:

1. I generally use Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning on the chops, or Chef Paul’s Pork & Veal Magic Seasoning.
    2. I pretty much always use low sodium cream of mushroom soup, and I add garlic to the pan when the onions and mushrooms are about done.
    3. I usually mix the onions and mushrooms into the rice mixture.
    4. I always double the recipe and use a 13×9″ pan.
    5. This could easily be done with browned ground beef or chicken breasts. If I were going to use ground beef, I’d sub beef broth or stock for the water in the recipe and probably red wine for the white.
    6. When you check the rice to see if it’s done, check under a chop toward the middle of the pan, as that will likely be the last place it gets done.
    7. If you don’t like mushrooms, you could easily leave them out and sub another type of cream of X soup for the cream of mushroom (cream of celery?).

37. Anonymous says:

I have made this but with spaghetti sauce, not soup.

38. Would this be just as good frozen and reheated? I’m trying to find some freezer meals for when I’m home alone with a new baby and a preschooler.

• Anonymous says:

Yes, I make stuff like this or the freezer all the time. Rice doesn’t do as well in the freezer so maybe make the chicken without the rice and then make fresh rice when reheating the chicken.

39. This sounds good! I off to see if I have all of the ingredients to make this tonight. Thanks for sharing!
    P.S. I found this recipe on Pinterest

• Lori Couture says:

I actually bought all the ingredients yesterday and told my family to get ready for some forgotten chicken!! they laughed and said what did I forget this time!!!!!!! ha ha ha can’t wait to see how it turns out!!

40. Anonymous says:

Does the chicken need to be covered or uncovered while it’s cooking?

41. My mom used to make something like this as well, but she used Cream of Mushroom soup! So yummy!

42. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the quick & easy as we call it at ours…… As for the sodium concerns still a bunch less than prepared or fast food meals!

43. Anonymous says:

If I used the low fat versions of the soups and brown rice would that make this more diabetic friendly? My husband is type 1 diabetic (recently switched from type 2 to type 1). Just curious.

• The Doodler says:

I’m afraid I don’t know and I’m hesitant to comment on anything medical. I have made it with brown rice before and the taste is slightly different but still just as good. Sorry I can’t be more help!

• Shanon says:

From what I know diabetics mainly have to be concerned with the amount of carbs they consume. The bulk of the carbs in this meal will come from the rice, and from what I’ve seen white and brown have about the same amount of carbs. I know for my Dad it’s 60g carbs for a meal and 18g carbs for a snack. 1 serving of soup (1/2 cup the fat free kind) is 9g carbs, brown rice is 44g carbs, onion soup mix has 4g carbs. So the total carbs for 1 serving is around 57g.

44. I still make this all the time. But to make it “healthier” I put a bag of frozen mixed veggies on top of the rice mixture, but under the chicken. Or just add broccoli. yum!!

45. Spring S says:

I make this but my grandmother called it ‘No-Peek Chicken’ because you cover it with foil and leave it alone in the oven for so long. It’s always a hit in my house!

46. Ashley says:

What if you just do four chicken breast? Can the recipe still stay the same?

47. Anonymous says:

what size casserole dish? 9×9 or 9×13

48. Do you have directions on doing this with regular rice instead of minute rice?

49. The Turley's says:

Can the chicken be frozen or does it need to be thawed?

• The Doodler says:

I would thaw it just to make sure it is fully cooked.

• Anonymous says:

I have a similar recipe (only it adds a packet of taco seasoning to the soup mix, and add a can of black beans on top the chicken), that calls for frozen chicken breasts. You just have to keep an eye on it and probably cook it a little longer, but should be ok as long as you cover it and have enough liquid in the soup mixture.

50. rachel says:

My 15 year old is making this for dinner tonight. Can’t wait to try it! :)

51. Anonymous says:

Can you use boneless skinless chicken tenderloins instead of breasts. I was just curious because I already have some in the freezer??

52. Any one attempted this in a crockpot instead of an oven??

53. Anonymous says:

That’s exactly like my favorite dish, only different. I use frozen thighs, and cut up carrots and potatoes instead of rice, although that sounds yummy. I do not cover it, but it can be “forgotten” except it gets to smelling so good you don’t. Sometimes throw in some cauliflower or brocolli towards the end. LOVE IT.
    Marcia

54. Anonymous says:

I make a version of this in my crock pot. A couple cans of soup in with the chicken and let it cook (low for 6-8 hrs, high for 3-4). Close to when it’s almost done I make a pot of rice. Put rice in a bowl, add a piece of the chicken and spoon some soup mixture over it, cut the chicken up and mix it all together. Delish! I do the same thing with pork chops. Even used mashed potatoes once and that was good as well. No reason why pasta couldn’t be used either.

55. Anonymous says:

I’m not sure what I did wrong, but it turned out HORRIBLE. The rice was a nasty, gloppy mess and the chicken was flavorless. It was like the rice only absorbed the water and it was sitting it cream soup. I had to throw it out. :(

• Amy says:

I wonder what you did wrong, maybe you didn’t cover it with foil or something? I don’t know but I made it on Sunday and it was SO GOOD! My husband loved it so much he even asked for it to be on our menu next week as well.

56. Anonymous says:

I should have added that I did put the onion soup mix on the chicken and baked it at 375 for 1 1/2 hrs.

57. Anonymous says:

I make this exact recipe, but in the crock pot. Yummy.

• Shell says:

Do you put everything in all at once layered, like you would in the baking dish? I want to do this in the crockpot but would like to hear from someone who has done it before. I am assuming you put the chicken on top of everything just like you would in the baking dish. Also how long did you cook it in the crock pot? Thank you

58. Melanie says:

do you think if i added bacon wrapped around the chicken, i could still bake it the same? i found a somewhat similar recipe with bacon wrapped chicken & it calls for it to be baked for about 4 hrs… ? let me know please :)

59. Unknown says:

Can this be done with brown rice instead?

60. Anonymous says:

I’m making this tonight, but I’m out of chicken breasts, so I’m going to use pork loin chops.

61. Lauren says:

Found this on Pinterest!

My grandmother and mom mafe a similar dish and we called it Chicken & Rice and Everything Nice. Not sure why??? It was my fave dinner as a kid. My mom will make it for me when she visits. I’m making this tonight for my boys (son and hubs), but I’ll be using cream of mushroom instead of the cream of celery. I already had a can in my pantry and I like it better.

62. Anonymous says:

Ok, for those of you switching out the cream of celery for cream of mushroom… Are you still also using the 1 can cream of chicken? Thx!

63. Anonymous says:

Totally making this for our anniversary!!! Using orzo instead of rice, because I have a TON of it on hand (never used it EVER so not sure why) Hope it turns out good!!!

64. Michelle says:

I have it in the crockpot exactly like you said so my fingers are crossed!

65. Anonymous says:

A good recipe should tell you to cover with foil or cook uncovered.

66. Anonymous says:

I found this recipe on Pinterest and it uses the same “cream of” soups as another family favorite so my 7 year old daughter and I are trying it….it’s in the over as I type. She mixed the soups, water, onion mix and rice while I just did the chicken. She loves to help in the kitchen and this recipe was a great one for her to use and make her own dish from. We can’t wait to try it, thanks!

67. Amanda says:

I pinned this last week and just made it today and left it to cook while we were at church. The house smelled so good when we came home. We loved this and the rice was my kids favorite part. I have to say I really liked the rice too. Told my friend about this at church and now since I have made it and enjoyed it I will have to tell her to come to your site and get the recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

68. Wish there was a link to just be able to print the recipe and not everyone’s comments.

69. Wish there was a link to just be able to print the recipe and not everyone’s comments.

• The Doodler says:

I think I will have to work on creating a printable for this recipe. When I posted it I had no idea it would become the most popular post on this blog. Who knew? :)

70. Melinda says:

I twisted this recipe. I didn’t have cream of celery, but I did have cream cheese…so it was cream cheese and cream of mushroom. But no onion. So I used mcKormick’s rosemary chicken roast spices instead. Still a hit! I might have to see how else I can tweak it and still get tasty results!

71. Anonymous says:

I forgot to put foil on top… Dinner is pretty much ruined… Chicken is crunchy and most of the rice is too! DON’T forget the FOIL!

72. I just made this for my family of 5, soon to be six, and we all loved it. Even my 2 year old devoured what I had served her! Thank you for posting this!

73. Anonymous says:

Do you still have to put foil over this in the crock pot? Or is just the lid good enough?? Thanks!

74. Anonymous says:

Just wondering how all the crockpot versions worked out? I am going to try this with boneless skinless chicken thighs.. (and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup – we are not celery or mushroom fans)

75. Anonymous says:

We made this just a teeeeeny bit healthier by using minute brown rice and the heart healthy versions of cream of soups! Not much of a cut back but every little bit helps! :)

76. Jessica says:

I make something very similar that everyone loves. I add cheese though and use cream of mushroom as the 2nd soup instead of cream of celery! One of my most favorite meals, will have to give this one a try!

77. Anonymous says:

I’ll have to try this for dinner sometime this week. I can’t cook to save my life but this seems easy enough, even for me :)

78. clf626 says:

50 + year old recipe! I knew this recipe looked familiar! I make it all the time from a 1960 cookbook titled, ‘Cooking With Love’ Is that too cute or what?

Recipe as follows:
    Ingredients
    1 can celery soup
    1 can mushroom soup
    1 soup can milk (meaning fill the empty soup can with milk)
    1 cup of rice (I use instant)
    6 to 8 pieces fryer chicken (I use chicken tenders)

Mix soups, milk and rice in a large bowl:
    Put rice and soup mix in a 9 X 13 baking dish.
    Lay chicken pieces on top of rice (not touching). Shake onion soup mix so it will be evenly mixed. Sprinkle over top of chicken pieces. Cover with foil and bake in 325 degree oven for 1 and 3/4 hours.

79. Anonymous says:

I’m wondering if this would work with Wild long grain rice rather than white or brown rice?

80. Wonderful idea! I need help with my cooking for Sundays. It ends up being too involved but this recipe is perfect and looks good. Cannot wait to try!!

81. Anonymous says:

My family does not like rice. I wonder if it would work with wide egg noodles instead made in the crockpot.

82. Lena says:

Just now ate this and we loved it my kids are picky eaters and they loved loved loved it thanks for sharing

83. Anonymous says:

Can this be made without the minute rice and use just plain white rice instead?

84. Anonymous says:

This has become a big hit in our house. The first time I made it, I forgot to buy chicken at the store so I used boneless pork chops I had at home. It was yummy and that’s how I’ve made it ever since.

85. Anonymous says:

My family doesn’t like celery, what can you relace the cream of celery with?

86. Simmywade says:

Just finished eating this, yes eating. We made this today after finding it on Pinterest this afternoon. I can’t believe how easy and inexpensive this meal was to feed our family. We are family of 8 I doubled the recipe and cooked it the one to two hours. Everybody loved this and it is now nicely written down and put into our recipe box of our favorite we will eat again meals.

Thank you.

87. Anonymous says:

I’ve never had it with the Lipton Soup nor with Pork Chops…….bet I’ll try it this week…Thanks for the info!

88. Melissa says:

I plan on making this Sunday night. What temp is this supposed to cook @ in the oven & for how long? Thank you.

89. Anonymous says:

Sorry to be a pain but someone asked if you still needed the tin foil if you make it in the crock pot and I would really love to know the answer as I would like to give this a go, albeit tweaked a little to suit my family.

90. lcap322 says:

I just made this. Its really delicious! My husband loved it…and I do not really cook…so this did it for me!!! I will make this again…and again…Thank you for posting!

91. Kathy says:

I’ve made this a few times but I used the Cheese and Broccoli Rice mix. It is all good. There are so many varieties you could do with this. Thank you for posting.

92. Anonymous says:

Another variation:
    Mix 2 cans Cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soups with 1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Chilies with the rice
    Then place chicken on top (I used thighs & small breasts)
    Cover with foil
    Yummy!

93. russ668 says:

First time I made this, the rice wasn’t cooked at all. Did I need more liquid or should I have just cooked it longer? I did the 350 for an hour and a half. Oh and I didn’t use Minute Rice…just regular. Does that make a difference?

• The Doodler says:

I’m sure it makes a difference to use regular rice. I have never used it for this recipe before personally, so I’m not sure how much more water you would need.

94. Cathy says:

I make this with chopped green chili sprinkled over the chicken (boneless, skinless breasts). I use a couple of tsp. of onion flakes instead of onion soup mix. It’s great!

95. Anonymous says:

Made this! So simple, cheap, and delicious! Since my family loves the combination of white and dark meat, we used boneless skinless chicken breasts, and thighs. Kept in the over for 3.5 hours at 250º. Simply wonderful, and will be added to the rotation! Thank you for the lovely recipe!

96. Anonymous says:

I have made a recipe like this for years, using long grain white rice which you saute with chopped onion in some butter until slightly brown. Add this to your buttered 8 x 13 dish. Lay your raw chicken pieces seasoned with your choice, (paprika, pepper,etc)on top. Then top with your choice of soup, Cr of Celery, Mushroom, or what ever you like and about 3 cups chicken broth. Cover with foil and bake slow for several hours, or turn up heat and bake 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. Take foil off the last 15 minutes to slightly brown chicken. This is an old standard chicken/rice dish that is always good with a vegetable and/or green salad. Yes it does have a lot of sodium,,,so those folks might want to use reduced sodium broth, and soups to cut down on the salt.

97. Jessica says:

I’m planning on making this one night this week. My family loves mushrooms, so I’m using onion mushroom soup mix and adding a container of fresh mushrooms to the soup and rice mixture. Also, I’m swapping out the celery soup and adding cream of mushroom. It sounds so good to me, can’t wait to try it!

98. Jolene says:

What’s the best kind of chicken to use? Fryer chicken or chicken breast???

99. Hollie says:

is it ok to not use tin foil? i forgot all about it :( i dont want to ruin it though

• Jamie Hall says:

NO! You have to cover tightly with foil Look in the comments. Someone ruined theirs by NOT using foil I’ve made this for years and it will not work without the foil. Hope you see this in time! Good Luck.:)

100. I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing problems with your website. It appears as though some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This could be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Kudos

• The Doodler says:

If you have had this problem before it may be an issue with your monitor. Something you may want to try is to “zoom out.” Hold down the control button and then scroll down with the mouse. This will zoom the page out. Holding control and scrolling up with your mouse with zoom it back in. Just a thought!

101. Sammi says:

Would it work to half this recipe and just use one can of cream of chicken soup maybe? And how much chicken did you use for the full recipe, just 6 pieces or 2 lbs or something like that?

102. carolyn says:

I tried the forgotten chicken in the crock pot. Did anyone else wind up with mush? I found the pieces of chicken in there, but the rice was like paste. Might have to tweak this recipe if I make it again.

• The Doodler says:

I have never made it in the crock pot, so I’m not sure how it has turned out for everyone else. Making it in the casserole dish is so easy and I know it works so that is what I stick with. It works for an amateur cook like me!

• Jo says:

I’ve made a similar dish in the crock pot. I cooked the rice separately then added it about half an hour before the dish was ready.

103. mel says:

Sounds really great! We don’t use cream soups because of the really bad stuff in them but I’m going to try it with my homemade substitute and use my own brown rice instead and see how it comes out. I’m also going to try fresh celery and fresh mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe!

104. Joyce says:

Someone above stated that rice doesn’t freeze well. I haven’t found that to be the case. Whenever I cook rice I always cook extra and freeze. That way whenever I want to make a recipe calling for rice all I have to do is pull out of the freezer. It saves time and always works well for me.

105. Angie says:

Well I made this for dinner and I’m so glad I also made dinner for tomorrow (which is now tonight’s dinner). I’m just praying that since I mixed the gross packaged onion soup into the rice that the chicken is salvageable. The rice tasted like a onion salt lick yuck, I took 1 small bite and can’t get that aweful onion taste out of my mouth. I used lower sodium soups to help reduce the sodium but it def didn’t help.

• The Doodler says:

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you, I know everyone doesn’t always like the same thing. Hope you still have an enjoyable weekend!

106. kbt says:

I used reduced sodium soups, and added the onion soup in the mix. I also added about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and a small (4 serving) bag of frozen broccoli. I mixed all this together, and placed the chicken breasts on the bottom and covered with the entire mixture. Baked 375 for about 50 minutes, and then took the foil off for 5 minutes to help add a little more of the crust the pinner talked about. It was really good — I think the reduced sodium healthy soups helped with any salt factor. If someone doesn’t like a strong onion flavor, start by adding 1/2 a mixture and tweak from there. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!

107. Courtney says:

Absolutely loved this. It’s great with a side of canned green beans too. Making it for the whole family tomorrow!

108. Anonymous says:

I have made a recipe similar to this many times. The recipe I’ve made is more of a Mexican version. A packet of taco seasoning is mixed in with the soup mixture, and the uncooked rice sprinkled on top of the soup mixture. Then place FROZEN chicken breasts or tenders on top of the rice, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans and whatever seasonings you want on top! Cover and bake at least 45 minutes, I don’t remember the temperature or exact time. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on and let it melt while the casserole cools. Doesn’t get any easier! This recipe sounds very similar, without the Mexican twist to it. Sounds delicious!

109. Carmen says:

My hubby also does not like onions, likes the taste but not the part. I use my stick blender on the dry onion soup mix and blend them to a fine powder…no more onions.

110. Tierra says:

I followed the directions, but cooked it inside my crock pot instead of the oven. I placed it in the crock pot for 6hrs and the crock pot switched to warm by the time I came home from work. I wish I could post a pic. It looks so good and has the house smelling good. The rice was crunchy around the edges but soft and moist in the middle. I placed some buttered Pam on the bottom and edges to prevent possible sticking. So easy… I tasted a little of the rice when I walked in, but have not fixed everyone plate yet. So far so good…. Will repost after eating the chicken. Oh by the way, I used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast (just used what I had in the house already). Hope that helps someone out there!

111. Erin says:

I grew up on almost this exact dish and like you it was my absolute favorite. The only difference is that instead of onion soup my mom just sprinkled the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika. The rice was always my favorite, soo yummy! Gonna try this your way, the onion soup sounds delish!

112. where is the print button i would love to have recipe
    plz mail reply to mkkiki2@aol.com plzzzz

113. Lynn J says:

Made this last night, it was a truely forgotten wonderful recipe!!!!

114. pmbradley says:

It was great!!! I substituted the white rice with brown rice and my kids loved it!!

115. Moi says:

Well, I was intrigued by the pin, but, as per usual, the recipe is full of junk and chemicals. You lost me at the dry soup and the cream soups. My stomach hurts just thinking about it. I’m no purist, by any means, but I do refuse to eat those chemical/salt laden dry soups and cream soups. Why can’t somebody come up with something like this for those of us who don’t want to pump chemicals into our bodies? Not to mention, our childrens’ bodies?

• The Doodler says:

Well the good news is there are a ton of blogs out there dedicated to strictly healthy, all natural cooking. They are pretty great, I encourage you to look for ones that fit what you’re looking for. I am of a moderation mindset. We certainly don’t eat meals with cream of soups ever day, or even every week for that matter. But do I occasionally use them in cooking? Yep I do. Occasionally being the key word.

• Dori G. says:

Yes, I agree with Doodler. Nobody is forced to come onto these websites/blogs/etc. Nobody is forced to try any recipe they don’t want to try. I think this recipe and this blog in general is very nice. You can always use substitutions in recipes as well. Anyway, thank you for this blog and all the work you put into it.

• TammyC says:

You know, don’t you, that you don’t HAVE to use this recipe? How very rude of you to make a nasty comment like that on here. You could just as easily clicked your “back” button without being unkind.

I’m trying this recipe in my slow cooker tonight–thanks for sharing it! :)

• Stacie says:

Why don’t you share with us how it feels to be so much better than the rest of the posters?

• Lisa says:

You can use just about any homemade “creamy” soup. 1 can = 1.25 cups of homemade soup. That’s what I did, and instead of the onion soup mix, I used dehydrated onions and a little black pepper. It is VERY easy to adapt almost any recipe to a healthier version if you have basic kitchen knowledge. No need to post a nasty comment – if this isn’t to your taste and you can’t figure out the substitutions, just move on.

116. Kellie says:

This was so yummy! My family loved it! I used 1 c. of regular long grain white rice and it came out perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

117. tamra wells says:

Tried this tonight and my family LOVED it! I added a little shredded cheddar cheese and garlic powder to the rice mix and sprinkled on top of the chicken along with the onion seasoning. Served with sour cream and it was amazing!

118. Michelle says:

I have been eating this for the last 35+ years. My mother made it when I was a kid and I have been making it for my family (or since I moved out of the house at the age of 18). It is a good meal. I now make it for work as well.

119. mary nacey says:

My mom made this 45 years ago with pork chops. I had forgotten about this recipe but it is in the oven baking as I type for an easy dinner. Thanks for the memories.

120. Kristy says:

I’m a bit over all these recipes that use canned and powdered soups. It’s just as easy to cook meals from scratch using fresh ingredients that everyone will love. Why you’d want to feed your family fillers and preservatives is beyond me.

• The Doodler says:

I’ve commented this before but here it is again: The good news is there are a ton of blogs out there dedicated to strictly healthy, all natural cooking. They are pretty great, I encourage you to look for ones that fit what you’re looking for. I am of a moderation mindset. We certainly don’t eat meals with cream of soups ever day, or even every week for that matter. But do I occasionally use them in cooking? Yep I do. Occasionally being the key word. I love cooking with fresh ingredients as well and try to do it often.

• Stacie says:

If you’re over it, why are you here? This recipe looks yummy for those of us who are not dripping in time and cash for “Whole Foods”.
      Comfort food! Yum-Ah!

• Lisa says:

Why you don’t know how to substitute ingredients, if you’re SO health-conscious, is beyond ME.

Use your own homemade soup – made with whatever corn-fed, organic, overpriced ingredients you want, and substitute scallions, chopped onions. or chives for the soup mix. It’s not rocket science. Surely, someone like yourself with so much time and kitchen know-how would know that you can sub fresh onions for dehydrated onions.

121. Mandy says:

Looks like my kind of recipe!! ;) Hey can anyone tell me if I can you use regular rice instead of instant?

122. Mary says:

When I was a little girl my mother made this all the time. We used cream of mushroom and cream of celery, though, and called it “Chicken Different.” It IS very yummy!

• The Doodler says:

I have seen a lot of different comments saying they used cream of mushroom as well. I might have to give that variety a try!

123. Dana says:

Made this tonight and LOVED IT!!!! So easy and delicious, I didn’t wanna stop eating it!!! Yum Yum!!!

124. Jayne says:

This recipe is fabulous! So easy to throw together and tasted great. Next time I think I will stir in the onion seasoning as the flakes sitting on top of the mixture and chicken got a little crunchy and dry. Will definetly make this again!

125. Mary B says:

Am I the only one who’s heard of this…Campbell’s makes a ‘cream of chicken and mushroom soup’. I just love it. I’ve used it for years in almost every recipe that calls for ‘cream of’ whatever soup and it’s great. The reason I ask, is even my family and friends have never seen it or heard of it till I mentioned it. Can’t wait to make this. My husband and I like chicken and pork chops…AND canned ‘cream of’ soups!

126. Christy M. says:

My mom used to make this same recipe, but in soup form. She would mix all those ingredients, plus a can or two of corn and about 4 cups milk and boil it until the chicken cooked. Then shred the chicken and mix it back in. She called it chicken corn chowder and it’s on of my favorites. I’ll have to try your way when I’m not in a soup mood.

127. EMily says:

Do you have to use minute rice or could I use the brown organic rice from Costco?

128. Kristi says:

I am making this for dinner tonight sounds really good thanks for sharing. I also like to mix cream of chicken and cream of mushroom milk add the chicken the sprinkle with Frenches fried onions and bake you should try it can’t wait to try your recipe :)

129. Mary Ann says:

This recipe is fantastic just as it is …. and so very simple. It has become a family favorite! Thanks for posting it!

130. Lori says:

Making this tonight…yum! I did replace half the water with white wine (which is what a similar recipe I have calls for)… just a little variation. :) Thanks for the recipe!

131. Krista says:

Gave this recipe a whirl! It was delicious. Used chicken stock instead of water. Yummo!

132. Tami says:

Brieanna, I read all the posts here….ALL of them. I have to commend you on your patience and graciousness. You are a saint! I plan to try your recipe as soon as I get out of my chair…minute rice, crunchy onion soup mix, sodium/chemical laden cream-of soups and all!! And you best believe I will cover it tightly with foil! (’cause I know how to read and follow directions :) I, for one, especially appreciate the time you’ve spent sharing this recipe, and I can’t wait to check out the rest of your site!!

• The Doodler says:

Oh Tami this was the BEST comment ever! Honestly, thank you so much!!! I laughed so loud and I’ve read it several times and it was just what I needed. Hope you enjoy the meal!

• Laura says:

High five, Tami! I was thinking the exact same thing. I’m making this for dinner tonight. Can’t wait to see how it turns out! :)

133. Tami says:

I’m glad it made you smile :-)). Followed the recipe to the letter. I popped some pre-packaged crescent rolls in the oven with it for the last 10 minutes (oh, the horror!), and it was fabulous! Again I thank you for sharing!!

134. Trina says:

This sounds great! I remember my mom making it alot when I was a kid. Just wondering if you think this would work the same with quinoa instead of rice? Thanks!

135. Amy says:

Yuck. This did not turn out at all. One can of water is not enough. The rice was sticky and bland. Where are the seasonings in this recipe? I thought of that as I was making it but everyone was raving about it so I made it as printed. There are so many easy elegant chicken recipes out there that don’ include cream soup of any kind. This one will not be repented.

• The Doodler says:

Sorry it didn’t work out for you, different strokes for different folks I suppose! Thanks for giving it a try though!

• Stacie says:

Repented?
      Repent! Repent evil Chicken!
      Seriously, I’ve made this. It sounds like you forgot the onion soup mix and used regular rice without rinsing it.

• Donna-Marie Lee says:

Wow. I have been thinking about starting a blog , but There are to many meanies out there. Kind people are out there too, but all I van say is, wow.

• The Doodler says:

If you want to start a blog I say go for it. Occasionally I do get a comment that may not be the nicest (and I’ve gotten some that are downright cruel as well) but for every one of those comments I have 20 wonderful, sweet comments and emails in my inbox that absolutely make my day. There are WAY more kind people out there. So start your blog and then let me know, I’ll be the first to come check it out!

136. Dana says:

I found this on pinterest, am making it now. Hope it turns out. For all those bitching, go to pinterest and look up homemade cream of soup and onion soup mix. You can make up your own and store them, so you can use them, instead of the preservative-filled store-bought versions. And for those of us who use them once a month like me, get over it. I don’t need you mommying me, I’m an adult and will eat what I please (no kids here, so spare me that lecture) This smells good in my kitchen, I hope my husband likes it, that is usually my main goal. Thanks for sharing.

137. Heather says:

I can’t wait to try this…i looooooove crockpot recipes and this looks yummy and super easy. Just pinned it!

138. Melanie says:

Okay- Just put this in the oven…and FORGOT to butter the dish… Will it be okay??

139. Anna Brown says:

I’ve never used instant rice when making this, always regular white rice. Remember you want double the liquid as the amount of rice. So, 2 C. uncooked rice means you need 4 C. liquid. I fill up each soup can (2) with milk, not water. Also top with a few pats of butter and I sprinkle it all with paprika too. Cover tightly with foil and absolutely NO PEEKING! We cook it at 350 for 2 hours. It’s always turned out great that way. Maybe this will help a little.

140. JP says:

Have this in the oven right now. Prepared exactly as you’ve listed on the site. I can’t wait to try it. We even have the salad and bread you suggested! Based on how it turns out, I may try some of the variations listed in the comments! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

141. Hugh W Rowson says:

Love your recipes., Down to earth and easy to understand. However, I do wish you would use ‘PINTEREST” for your sharing as well as the others. Personally, I do not use Facebook or twitter. Keep up the great work

142. Ashley says:

Oh Wow!! This is amazing! I found it on pinterest when I was looking for something to do with chicken and a bag of onion soup mix.

I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand so I had to improvise! I googled “cream of something” and came across one of my favorite sites that helps Mom’s with once a month cooking. That site had simple directions to make your own.
    I didn’t have chicken or mushrooms or anything to make it that way but I did have green peppers and onions…so I used that, made a double ‘cream of something’ recipe.
    To that I added 2cups of jasmine rice (husband is Filipino and we have the 20lb bag of that in the house at all times!!)
    I also added a can of kernal corn plus half the can of water. In the future I will use less water.

I cut the chicken into large chunks, placed them atop the rice mixture just as the recipe called for. Then, I sprinked 2 packages of onion soup mix on top. I used a disposable baking pan for super easy clean up.

I just took it out and had a taste – DELISH!!! :) I also don’t feel guilty because I know exactly what I put in in (aside from the onion mix – which can easily be made from scratch)

This is a keeper!!

143. anonymous says:

Help-Skip the tin foil if you’re putting it in the crockpot??

144. sallie says:

The sodium content is extremely high.

145. Cindy says:

Oh! I know this recipe! And yes! It’s delightful! We grew up calling this “New Baby Casserole,” because this is what my mom always made and delivered to the family of a new baby. YUM!

146. AMY says:

I have a question hope you can help. I would like to make this for a friend that just had a baby. But she needs to freeze it for a few days. Do I send it to her already cooked? Can I use a foil pan to cook this? Also how long does it take to re-heat? Please let me know. Thanks k

• The Doodler says:

I have not tried this as a freezer meal so I called my mom and here is what she said- It probably wouldn’t work as a freezer meal because when the rice just sits in the liquid (whether is has been cooked or not) it will absorb all the liquid. Then once you cook or reheat it, the rice can be really dry.

When in doubt I always listen to my mom!

147. Claudia McPaul says:

it sounds delicious!! For those of you that are “too healthy” to eat it, GET OFF OF THE SITE AND GO CHOKE ON SOME ORGANIC BROCCOLI!!! Thanks for posting this yummy recipe!!!!

148. Tina Arnold says:

Making this recipe for dinner tonight, sounds so yummy! I do have cream of chicken & cream of celery canned soups on hand, but just found I also have a cream of chicken and mushroom as mentioned above. Gonna try that in place of the cream of chicken. You can use regular long grain rice (I make a similar recipe) but I am using chicken broth instead of water & added a small bag of frozen mixed veggies & sprinkling some shredded cheddar cheese on top the last minute… Can’t wait! Thanks for this awesome recipe! :)

149. candaycee says:

How would this recipe work in a crock pot?

• The Doodler says:

While I have never done it personally a lot of the commentators on here have tried it and had it work out really well. The most common thing they have said is that they tried it for 4.5 hours on high. I can’t say exactly what it will do, but hopefully everyone else is right!

150. Landa B. says:

My goodness so yummy the directions were PERFECT. We choose the lower sodium and fat free versions of the soup. We used chicken legs instead of breast since that is what we had on hand. The RICE – AWESOME, we used 1 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of regular minute rice – great way to get the nutrition into the kids they did not even realize they were eating brown rice which they HATE! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

151. Pam says:

You should try this with italian dressing mix instead of onion soup mix. AMAZING! We love it both ways at our house.

152. Lisa says:

Got burned out reading all the blogs, so I hope Im not repeating. Heres what I did. Trying to eat healthier I have purchased alot of brown rice…and need to stay off pinterest…LOL Bring to boil 4 cups water and 1 cup brown rice simmer 25 min, then add 1 cup white rice continue to simmer for 20 more min. Remove and add 1 can milk 2 cans soup ( I also added 1 can of mushrooms). Put in casserole dish layered chicken on top ( I butterflied my boneless skinless breast so they would not be so thick), sprinkled the lipton onion soup, covered with foil. Its in the oven now on 350 for 45 min to an hour. I have a convection oven…..we”ll see.

153. Courtney B says:

Question-can I use leftover white rice from this past weekend’s Chinese food? We had alot left and I’d like to reuse it in this dish but wonder if it would become soggy where it’s already cooked.

154. Pam Gardner says:

Made this tonite, but used 5 pork chops in place of the chicken breasts…I put the onion soup in with the cream soups and rice rather than sprinkle it on top…baked for 3 hours at 260 degrees…I used cream of celery and cream of mushroom soups…it was delicious…will make again using chicken next time…thanks for the recipe!

155. This looks delicious and super easy! Love that everyone else has tried it before too…can’t wait to try.

156. Melissa says:

Has anyone made this the night before and refrigerated raw until the next day? I was wanting to prep this the night before so I could just throw it in the oven after work but I’m afraid it may ruin the rice. Just wondering if anyone has any experience trying this. Thanks!

157. Dena says:

I love this recipe! One thing I do to step up the flavor is mix crushed Ritz crackers, Paprika, and the onion soup mix. Then I top the chicken breasts with this.

158. Ashley Labadie says:

I found this recipe on pinterest, and ever since my husband has had me make it once a week. He loves this recipe!! Thank you

159. Vicky says:

The chicken was really great. I cooked it for an hour covered. I used regular rice and that did not work out at all. It tasted really uncooked. Next time I will try minute rice.

160. Bev says:

Aww sounds delicious. BUT as Im from the UK we dont get celery soup cans, minute rice nor do we get onion packet soup mix. Bummer I would have looooovvvved to try this one out. Thanks for sharing anyway. xx

So basically you have to live without all the unhealthy stuff? That’s rough! Just kidding. I have been to the UK and fell in love with it! It is beautiful.

161. Emily says:

I want to make this tonight but don’t have minute rice so I’m planning on just making rice seperately. Do I still need to add the water to this dish?

162. Carol says:

It sounds like you had a very sensible mother.

163. PepperJo says:

The recipe says “water.” But doesn’t say how much water. Could someone please clarify?

164. Mine is in the oven now. So easy :) Thanks for sharing!

165. Chandra says:

I made this with cream of asparagus and my family LOVED it. We had a side of asparagus and everyone, including my five year old, had seconds!

166. amy troy says:

Green onions and mushrooms are good in it also!

167. Tiffany Lee says:

Brie!! I’ve used your forgotten chicken recipe several times now and happened to look over and saw your beautiful picture. Haha how funny! This dish is delish and it takes 5 min to prepare. I stuck it in the oven and went to the park for an hour. Love it! Thanks and I hope all is well!

168. valer83 says:

Hi
    I’ve just see this recipe on pinterest !
    I’m french and I have one problem with the measure
    the soup can = 300g ?
    and for the water I don’t understand if it’s cup or can
    sorry for my ignorance ;)
    thanks for your answer

No worries, the water is one can. Just use the empty soup can for the water. And the 300g isn’t important. Hope that helps!

• valer83 says:

it’s important because in France we don’t have soup can lol just a little box in paper so I must translate in gramms or ml

Oh yep, you’re right! That would be important! Unfortunately I have no idea what the conversion would be. So sorry I can’t be more help!

169. Lynn says:

I am a health food nut, but still found a way to make this dish. I used organic boneless skinless chicken breasts, an all-natural onion soup mix from Whole Foods, organic cream of chicken, organic chicken broth instead of water, and brown rice. Part of eating healthy is just knowing how to make substitutions. Organic cream of chicken may not be low fat, but it only contains real ingredients….no chemicals. Thank you for the inspirational recipe! It is now my go-to recipe when daddy isn’t coming home for dinner……my kids love it!

These are great tips Lynn. I think I will try your version next time, thanks for sharing your know-how!

170. Courtney says:

How much rice?

171. FoodFan says:

Love your recipes! Is there a way to print just the recipes? I looked for a print option on the page and the only one I could find prints out the entire post, instructional pictures and all, which amounted to 35 pages (seriously). I just want the recipe! Thanks!

• cindy says:

foodfan why don’t you just copy and paste the recipe to a word program on your computer. you can delete the pictures in-between then you can print it out. easy peasy!!

• FoodFan says:

Thanks Cindy for your response. I have done the copy paste thing and it’s just kind of a pain! It’s sooo much easier when sites have a “print recipe” button. That’s why we look up the recipe in the first place! Thanks again! :)

172. Melissa says:

I was wondering how it would work out if i had some already cooked min rice?

I think it would work best to cook the chicken separately and then just serve it over the rice and omit the water from the recipe. You don’t want the rice to get too soggy.

173. Amy says:

Could you use regular rice in this recipe?

Thanks,
    Amy

174. lunchladynan@yahoo.com says:

I’ve also made this in the slowcooker and it is so good. Same ingredients just on high heat for 6 to 8 hrs.

175. Susan says:

Wonder if you can sub cailflower for the rice to make this low carb

176. Leslie says:

My grandmother use to cook this all the time! She’d put it on before we went to church and always served it with a pot of green beans, salad, rolls and whatever dessert she felt like that week! Yummy!

177. Mary says:

Recipe “by Darling Doodles”? Really? Because I’ve been eating this for 20 years.

178. Can someone tell me if this recipe can be made with basmati rice vs. the minute rice and if so would I just need to cook it longer and if so how long?

Amber

179. Lisa Enlow says:

This reminds me of a similar dish my mom used to make & it brings back warm memories – thanks for reminding me, gonna try it soon! :)

180. Bonnie Batten says:

I make this all the time, the only difference is instead of the Cream of Celery soup, I use Cream of Mushroom. I’ve never made it on low heat for the 3 hours, usually 1 hour @ 350 works best. It is one of my family’s favorites!

181. Aundrea Wilson says:

I absolutely love this! I perfer to put the onion soup into the rice. The chicken is so moist afterwords. I tried another reciepe on pinterest like this and it was disappointing. I def switched back to this one!

Thanks Aundrea! That is definitely my favorite way to do it too. Glad you like the recipe and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

182. Janell says:

Made this tonight using 2 cups of chicken broth, a ramen seasoning packet and some dehydrated onions since I was out of Onion soup mix, and 1 can cream of celery and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup Talk about easy! I used thawed chicken breasts butterfly sliced and the 350 method for 1 1/2 hours. I also used regular white rice. It was so yummy! Definitely going on the rotation. The chicken was moist and tender and the rice really yummy! Don’t forget the tin foil, that is what keeps the moisture/steam in to get the rice done and keep that chicken so moist. Loved it.

183. Lori says:

Hi,
    Congratulations on all the buzz you received from this recipe. It looks wonderful and is ridiculously easy to put together. Since you are calling for three different kinds of soup, I want to alert you to the fact that MSG is in the soups and can be quite toxic to individuals who react badly to it.
    Since you appear to have a lot of pull, I would like you to consider making a plea to the companies who produce your soups, to get rid of this chemical that unknowingly disrupts many people’s lives. It is potent and ubiquitous. Progreso has rid their soups of it, but Campbell’s and Lipton continue on with the flavor-enhancing additive.
    Thank you for thinking about this and best wishes for continued readership..

184. Susie says:

I made this for my family and they thought I turned into a chef overnight! Absolutely delish! There is no way to mess up on a recipe like this!

Ha, I love it! You almost don’t want to let them know how easy it was so they’ll still be impressed, right? Glad you and your family enjoyed it.

185. Michelle says:

If you have Kroger stores in your area, they have little boxes of cream soups that are organic that I use just like Campbells and they also have packets of onion soup mix that are organic. I will try this with those products and probably regular rice and let you know how it goes……sounds yummy!
    Kroger = Fred Meyers, QFC, King Soopers, City Market. Those are the ones I know but they probably have more if you google.
    Thanks for the recipe!

186. Rae says:

Thanks for the recipe!
    I’m making this tonight on 350* for an hour. Super easy. The last few minutes in the oven I’ll throw some cheese on top.

187. Jo-Anne says:

Not only will I make this tomorrow….I LOVE your update!!

188. Wendy Hampton says:

This is the best recipe! I’ve made it several times now, adjusting to accommodate some of the suggestions of the other posters. Wonderful stuff and I love that I am able to freeze the chicken and sauce and then reheat to put it over rice, pasta, broccoli, mashed potatoes…oh wow, it is so versatile! Thanks so much for sharing this!

189. This looks delicious. The only change I would make is to use long grain rice. I never use minute rice. Thanks for sharing.

190. Christina says:

Loved this! Thanks for the recipe. I threw in some chopped mushrooms and french fried onions for a little crunc. Yumm! I think next time im going to try adding some cheese at the end like one person suggested. Cant wait!

191. Hannah says:

This was easy to make, thanks a lot! just waiting for it to be finished cooking in the oven … Though I am really worried about the MSG and creams in the canned soup…. Just kidding! I only care about the taste :D I’ll go the gym to make up for it!

192. Tara says:

regarding your update…..

well well said!

btw–i’m making this tonight, thank you for the recipe that you posted & i decided to use.

193. Stacie says:

I throw in a bag of frozen mixed veggies with the soups and rice mixture and it works great. Delicious recipe. So glad I found it.

194. Sheila says:

What if you only want to make 3 chicken breasts – how do you alter the ingredient amounts? (I’m clearly new to cooking but really want to make this recipe tonight!)

195. Becky says:

Tried it tonight. Side comments: If you don’t want to use the recipe, don’t use the recipe! Don’t judge! If you don’t want to go to church for three hours, don’t go! Don’t judge! OK, done.

This kind of recipe can take variations. Just go with it, take it easy! I used the crockpot because I work long days and like to have dinner to come home to. I used regular rice, not instant, because I prefer it. I used cream of mushroom soup instead of celery, because I have it and prefer it. I used bone in breasts, they stay moister and again, I had them on hand. There were three in the package. Just use what you have and relax!

Bottom line, tasty, kinda salty but I like salty! GREAT comfort food. The chicken was falling off the bone tender. There was a yummy crusty brown bit on the bottom.

Thanks for sharing, and to lots of the comment-ers, thanks for the variations and helpful hints!

196. Andie says:

Hey! :) I tried this tonight and it was AWESOME! But I have a question. I did not read ALL of the comments, I may have missed it, but ours turned out dry.. is that normal? Is there a way to get it a little less dry? My brother thinks it’s the rice, because the rice took all the moisture. Granted, it was still yummy! Definitely a keeper :)

If it turned out dry I would say you probably need to cook it at a lower temperature or for a little bit shorter. The rice should be fairly moist so give one of those a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

197. Jenn M says:

LOL I love your end note! Too funny. I mean I could see if you were running a health food blog, but really…….. good for you! :D

198. Pa(Tricia) says:

WOW!!!!! Thank you thank you, I finally found something my new son in law liked.

199. carol ann says:

I can’t wait to try this and absolutely love your update. (there is low sodium soup out there and also recipes to make your own cream soups if people choose!!) It sounds delish!!!!

200. Tania says:

I used to make something similar when my kids were still at home. Lovely simple recipe that I will probably try this week. I will probably add something to it–just depending on my mood for the day. Lovely thing about recipes is that they were meant for tweaking and personalizing and making your own.

Exactly. And this is such a versatile recipe that there are so many different variations. It’s a good one to keep in your arsenal for those last minute meals.

201. Torianne31 says:

For those of you that don’t like the thought of using the Lipton Onion Soup mix or the “cream of” soups in this recipe (or if you have to cook Gluten free like me) here are alternatives for both: Make Your Own Lipton Onion Soup Mix: 1 1/2 c dried minced onion, 1/3 cup onion POWDER, 2/3 c granulated beef bouillon, 1/2 tsp white sugar. Mix all ingredients together and store in airtight container. This makes about 3 cups of mix. I just eyeball how much a pouch of the real stuff would be. Cream of Anything Soup: 2 c powdered milk, 3/4 c cornstarch, 1/3 c granulated chicken bouillon, 2 tbs dried onion flakes. Mix together and store in airtight container. To use: Combine 1/3 cup mixture with 1 cup cold water. Cook on stovetop or in microwave until thickened. Hope this helps :) I SHOULD POINT OUT THAT THESE ARE NOT MY ORIGINAL RECIPES. I GOT THEM FROM PINTEREST :)

202. Stratters says:

I agree with some of the other posts. This ISN’T a recipe, this is assemblage, and whilst there’s obviously a call for easy to do, pass it off as home cooking, you really shouldn’t be calling it a recipe. It’s not. It’s an assembly of ready made, lazy ‘cooks’ larder staples, and ‘recipes’ like these are perpetuating this generation’s inability to cook a proper, from scratch, wholesome meal. Not to mention the health aspects of eating like this. You might as well go to McDonald’s.

203. Brandi says:

Do you know if you can use normal rice?…I own a rice cooker so I never bye minute rice.

I’ve never made it with regular rice before, but I think it is worth a shot! As long as it can be fully cooked in the time it bakes it should be good to go.

204. katherine says:

I LOVE YOUR SIDE NOTE:) some people just love to complain! they can never just say to themselves im not gonna try it. They have to let the world know and why they are not going to try it. Im going to cook this tonight! sounds easy and yummy!!

205. Dina says:

Should I cover with foil before baking? Thank you!

206. Emil says:

Yes, this looks extremely mouthwatering! My boys will love this!

207. deb a says:

my family doesn’t care for rice. so has anyone made this with noodles instead?

208. Nicki says:

Hey there!!
    I just wanted to send a “thank you” for this awesome recipe. It is comfort food without the fuss. My family loves it, and since I’ve been in school, I’ve used this several times since it’s so easy.
    If you have anymore of these meals, share’em!!
    Thanks

Thanks Nicki! I’m so glad you and your family enjoy the meal and that it has been able to help you out on some busy school days. I’ll be sure to pass along any more recipes I find!

209. jessica says:

I’m trying this out tonight for dinner! i just put it in the oven!!!

210. Gina says:

Don’t like cream soups? Don’t like sodium? DON’T COOK THIS! I know my words seem like a miracle, but I speak the truth. You’re free! Just think, up until today you thought that if YOU clicked a recipe and you didn’t like it, you were contractually obligated to cook and eat it. Whew! Now you run along and cook some of your vegeterrorist gluten-free dairy-free ethically sourced low carb recipes. Hee hee! :D

Just have to say that I love your comment. Thank you for being a “miracle” voice of common sense!

211. Row2002 says:

This was so easy and tasty. I didn’t have any onion soup so I topped the chicken with some garlic powder and crushed up Durkee’s fried onions ohh so tasty. My grandaughter who is 3 and doesn’t like rice had seconds.

212. Therese Z says:

A huge family favorite, we’re having it this week when we go visit Mom!

We use the white/wild rice mix or all white rice, normal, not minute (yuck minute rice). It works fine, it’s the sealing with the foil that cooks it properly.

We make ours with all bone-in thighs because nobody like white meat cooked this way. Works dandy.

We often add a can of mushrooms to it too. Somehow, fresh mushrooms don’t work the same way. You want that completely-canned taste from the 60’s. And for super-fancy, we have added sliced almonds.

I never considered the crockpot, will have to think it over.

213. Kalle says:

This is a great recipe! :) I didn’t have any aluminum foil so I was panicking. But it turned out better than expected. My chicken was about 1/2 inch thick so I believed that helped. The top was a bit more crispy than I wanted but of course I didn’t follow the recipe fully. I have no doubt had I used foil, the end result would have been amazing :) Thank you so much!

Thanks Kalle! I’m so glad it turned out even without the tin foil. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

214. Angie says:

I just spent the most ridiculously long time reading all the comments. OMG!
    Some people are so rude and for lack of a better word”STUPID”! No one forces anyone to cook a recipe that is shared on a blog! If you don’t like it don’t eat it. My mom is 76 years old and has cooked for her family like this forever and guess what, she is still kicking and very healthy!! I love this recipe and have made many variations on it. Think I’ll fix this for supper tonight. I”m 50 and I’m not dead yet. Enjoy life while you can and don’t stress yourself. Keep up the good work “Doodler”. Most of us normal folks really enjoy your work and effort.

Thank you Angie! I appreciate your kind and supportive comments. My grandmother also ate this recipe ALL the time and she lived to be in her 90’s. And she also ate other really healthy foods and walked every single day. It’s all about balance! Hope your dinner turned out well and hope you have a great day!

Thanks,
      Brie

215. Gayle says:

I just dont get why people think they need to bawl other people out because their recipe preferences are different than their own. If they are so picky they need to make up their own recipes. Also, people who change the recipe and then gripe about the recipe should be ashamed.

216. paola says:

I made this several months back and everyone loved it! Hadn’t made it again only because I don’t usually cook with minute rice so I never have any on hand. But tonight I decided to give it a go with regular rice, (cooking it about halfway thru before using it in the recipe. Yes I said recipe, in reference to an earlier comment Merriam-Webster’s definition of recipe = a set of instructions for making something from various ingredients. Yep I would say this is in fact a recipe. I’ll never understand some peoples need to leave negative comments on anyones blog!! Thank you for sharing this recipe. It’s awesome and a great go to meal when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen!!!! p.s. Loved your update!!!! well said :)

Thank you for your comment, especially the part about it being a recipe. You echoed my thoughts perfectly. That is good to know that it also worked with regular rice, thanks for passing that along!

217. Amber says:

This sounds good. Can’t wait to make it although the thought of using the soup mix doesn’t “mix” with me. I refuse to put all that sodium and crap into my family’s mouth. Whenever a recipe calls for soup mixes, I just sub with Epicure’s 3 Onion Dip mix. Just as tasty and a heck of a lot healthier!!

218. Libby says:

Isn’t it interesting when people say they don’t want to put “all that crap” in their families mouth when there is a lot of “crap” coming out of their mouth in words. Seems to me you should just say thank you for the idea, adapt it if you want, enjoy it and leave it at that. My mother ate this meal frequently and lived to be 90, I’m just sayin!

219. Shauna says:

Just made this for dinner for my boyfriend and I. Came out very good but next time I will make a few modifications. The onion soup mix on top of the chicken was way too salty(not for health reasons, just the flavor), so next time I will leave it out because the chicken gets plenty of flavor from the rice. And I will also try doing two cans of cream of chicken soup in replace of a cream of celery because the flavor of celery was a little overpowering. But overall, I loved this recipe!

220. Kari says:

Would this recipe freeze well?

I’m not sure how well it would freeze. I’ve heard that rice doesn’t do well in freezer meals but I’ve never tried it myself.

221. Vivien says:

Made this today and it was so good! I used a can of golden mushroom and cream of chicken. Great recipe! Keep ‘em coming.

222. Cait says:

Has anyone tried to make this recipe with long rain rice instead of the minute rice?

223. Nanabun says:

I’ve made your recipe but changed the cream of chicken to 40% less salt cream of mushroom and it still turned out great! I’ve added it to my “super easy must make again” list of meals.

224. Chris says:

I was hesitant at first but I have to say after I cooked it that this IS the BEST way to cook chicken!!!!! Thank you so very much for this recipe! :D :D :D

225. Rena says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I came home from work one evening to find my very picky stepson eating the leftovers and loving it. Hopefully he’ll like it out of the oven tonight just as much.

226. Amanda says:

I’ve got this in the oven right now, and I can’t wait to eat it! I used 4 bone-in chicken breasts with a lot of the fat trimmed off instead of 6 boneless ones. The complaints about the sodium in the soups are funny now, considering that the latest research shows that the nonsensically low sodium recommendations of 1500 mg per day are not necessary for otherwise healthy people and that severely limiting sodium does nothing for your health. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html?pagewanted=1&hp&_r=0

It seems like there is “new research” every day that contradicts the old research, right?! That’s why I keep saying it is all about balance. Hope the meal turned out well for you!

227. Adrienne says:

I love this recipe and make it all the time! I actually make it in the crock pot. I am obsessed with my crock pot, and my husband and I cherish our “Crock Pot Sundays”. I do all of the same steps, mix soups/water with rice, lay chicken on top, sprinkle with onion soup, I just do all of this in the crock pot and set it on high for about 3-4 hours. It is our favorite!

I can definitely get behind an idea called Crock Pot Sundays! I love using crock pots on lazy, weekend days. So glad to hear the recipe works well for you too!

228. Kim says:

This is such a good recipe for busy nights…I can put it in the oven, run pick up the kids and come home to a dinner that is hot and ready. It’s also good with some cheddar cheese on top. Thanks!

Yes, it is definitely a great recipe for those crazy nights! The addition of a little cheddar cheese sounds yummy too!

229. Ree says:

Really, as long as you use enough liquid and cover it tightly with foil, there’s not much you can do to mess this one up! I wish some people weren’t wound so tightly! ;)

I experimented and it turned out wonderfully! I used four frozen chicken breasts, an uncooked, boxed mix of long grain and wild rice, a few handfuls of uncooked spinach penne and a handful of frozen peas. I buttered a 9×13 baking dish and put the raw starches down, then the peas, then the chicken, then covered it all with the cooking liquid and covered it TIGHTLY with foil. Three and a half or four hours (or whatever!) later, baked at 300 degrees, dinner was ready! My cooking liquid consisted of one can of cream of mushroom and about four cups of water mixed with one cube of veggie bouillon, a spoonful of no-chicken base (I think it tastes better than the real chicken stuff), some sea salt and pepper, some poultry seasoning, onion and garlic powders, and paprika.

Really, I’m like a mad scientist in the kitchen. I’m actually surprised I remembered everything I used! And even though my recipe (if you can even call it that) no longer resembles yours, it was a wonderful inspiration! Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Have a great day! :D

230. Em says:

I just wanted to say I love this recipe! It turned out wonderfully. :D If people aren’t comfortable with the ingredients they can subsitiue other things or just not make it!

The only changes I made were using boneless pork chops. (My local grocery store was out of chicken??) and I used “healthy request” cream of mushroom & chicken soups. They are lower on sodium and were on sale. Other than that I copied everything. I thought it was delicious and the boyfriend ate it all up. Plus we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :)

Yay! Glad you liked it! And switching for pork chops is something I do too. But I do have to wonder… who runs out of chicken?! :)

231. Jackie says:

I love this recipe. My husband is allergic to the onion soup mix so I just chop some fresh onion and mix it with the rice. Still very delicious. I also just use regular rice and add a cup of milk to the mix. water will also work if you are watching calories.

232. Jennifer says:

I made this for the first time last night (1/7/14) and it was really pretty good! You can cut the sodium by using lower sodium cream soups. ( i used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom because that’s what I had) The chicken was tender and moist and the rice was flavorful. Next time I might add a layer of mixed vegetables over the rice mixture and maybe some shredded cheese over the chicken when done. It took minutes to set up and we just let it cook for several hours. Husband and kids liked it and I will make it again!

I’ve added veggies and some cheese before as well, it is just as tasty and a nice variation! So happy you liked the recipe and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

233. Shannon says:

I just wanted to say that I love your ***Update*** reply to the busy bodies. That is all. <3

234. MamaMaciag says:

I’m a huge fan of freezer crockpot meals…. Not sure if this would convert….. Thoughts?

235. Laura says:

What size pan do you use? It looks like a 9×9 but I can’t tell?

236. Dorian C. says:

This looks absolutely DELICIOUS!!!! We still have a few more cold nights here in the Midwest and this will be PERFECT!!!

237. Amy says:

I love this recipe for busy weeknights! It’s quick, delicious, and so comforting! We like it really creamy, so I usually use 2 cans of broccoli cheese soup and one can of cream of chicken. It’s a good change-up if you like broccoli and cheese! Great recipe! Thanks :)

238. Toni Reale says:

Great old fashioned recipe. My mom sometimes made it with pork chops & used a can of dices tomatoes in place of cream of celery soup. No matter how we loved it. My Mom was the Queen of the one-pot meals
    If anyone starts to comlain about too much sodium – they don’t have to cook this.
    It is good comfort food.

239. H says:

This sounds yummy! would it work with rice that isn’t “instant” rice?

As long as you have enough liquid to cook the rice I’m sure it will work just fine!

240. LVB says:

Sorry if repeating…anyone just annoyed by the dots on this PAGE!!!!!!!!

241. Desirae says:

Yum! I do one similar only use 2 c regular long grain rice, 2 cans cream soup, 2 cans water and lay the chicken. I’ve never tried with the onion soup. Now I’ll have to try it!

242. sandra says:

I make something similar but I shred or cube my chicken and mix it all together and I only use cream of chicken my kids would kill over this meal

243. Stephanie says:

I used the base of this recipe to make my own that was a chicken flavor instead of onion flavor.
    3-4 chicken breasts
    1 family size can cream of chicken soup
    2 packages of Knorr/Lipton cream of chicken pouch rice
    half-2/3 of the soup can with water (or chicken broth. I use the broth)
    seasoning for the chicken (I use cajun)

Mix soup, rice pouches, and water (broth) in a greased casserole dish. Add chicken breasts (CUT THEM IN HALF. boneless skinless chicken breasts take way too long to cook the way they come, so make them thinner) and lay them on top of rice, covering as much of the rice as possible. Cover entire dish with foil. Bake 60-90 minutes at 325.

244. Robin says:

Like this cool and that recipe is definitely a good I will be making them! Everybody loves discover delicious new recipes and an occasion this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

245. C.O says:

My sentiments exactly! I think you covered it very nicely as far as the emails & messages you have got from this delicious , and easy looking recipe! Thank you for the recipe, look forward to trying it!

246. kathy says:

how do I make this in a slow cooker? thank you, looks delicious!

247. kathy says:

how do I make this in a slow cooker? looks delicious